Sunday, February 15, 2009

Kirby, I wanted to write you a letter about the experience I had last night visiting you on Valentine’s Day. If this forum is too public, I apologize. I just know if I post it here someday you will read it. I want you to know how I felt last night.

Seeing you last night brought to my mind the story of Ammon and King Lamoni in the Book of Mormon. If you remember, Ammon agreed to be the servant of the King and was assigned to guard the royal flocks. Not soon after, while on duty a group of Lamanites came and scattered their animals. All of the servants, except Ammon, became overwhelming fearful and scared. Who could blame them? The last time this happened all the servants were killed. Ammon, on the other hand become excited. He saw an opportunity to show King Lamoni the power of God and thereby be able to teach him the gospel. Anyways, you know the story.

Kirby, someone has scattered your sheep. Things have been taken away from you that will not be returned to you in this life, and it was of no fault of your own. The natural reaction would be the same feelings that the servants of King Lamoni felt. They were full of fear, anger and sorrow. When we walked into your room last night, you were crying. You were recounting the accident in your mind expressing the feelings you had while you were stuck in the car. You were reliving the pain and the dim outlook of your situation. As you said, one of the emergency workers said you were a goner. To my surprise though, you were not full of anger or sorrow. You were expressing your extreme gratitude for your life and the fact you were given a second chance. You were counting the many simple and wonderful blessings that our loving Heavenly Father has blessed you with. I felt like I was looking into the face of Ammon that night. I could see God’s Spirit beaming out of your face. I could feel the Saviors love flow through you. A love you choose to accept. You were beautiful to me. It’s something I will never forget.

Now there is much work to be done. It won’t be easy, if you remember Ammon had to slay 6 men with his sling, slay one with his sword, cut off the arms of many and then gather the flocks. Just know you won’t be doing it alone. I don’t know what God’s will is for you for the remainder of your life. Perhaps it’s to bring those around you closer to each other and to the Savior. If it is, you are already working miracles.

We love you and are proud of you,

Rob, Heidi, Blake, Brinklie and Hallie.

3 comments:

  1. Robert that was so well put. Thank you for expressing those thoughts for my Dad to reflect on. You are a sweetie. When I read this to Dad he was so touched that a Son In Law would feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robert!!! This touched my life as Dad does everyday with his sweet and enduring Faith that the Lord is with him. He said that he will be like Job in the Bible...that he will "endure all of these trials, no matter how painful or hard, knowing that Heavenly Father is mindful of him, and that his Savior understands. He wants to be like Job and endure to the end...and along the way, be obedient and positively influential on all he comes in contact with. Aren't the scriptures wonderful??? We have such good examples to follow. Now I need to take heed and set aside the "natural man" and strive to to God's will too. Anyway, thank you for your testimony Robert! Thank you for sharing this wonderful message of Ammon. What a wonderful reflection this has brought upon me today:) Love you, Rob! Sincerely, Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful Testimony! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. As an EMT who has the gospel, I feel so privaleged and grateful to be with those going through such life changing experiences. I feel sadness that, that emergency worker said "he is a goner". We don't always know the things our Savior has planned for us and I feel those oppinions shouldn't be shared with our patients because even in those most difficult cases...Hope is a very powerful thing. Anyway, I know you don't know me but I just wanted to let you know this blog has touched my life and has strengthened my Testimony..thank you! Jennifer Donalson

    ReplyDelete