Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tuesday's With Daddy

My official day with Dad is Tuesday. I go see him on other days too but that is my specific day to be up there with him the bulk of the day! 
I spent yesterday up at the hospital with Dad. He was so tired because earlier the physical and occupational therapists strapped him to a "table" and stood him upright. This exercise was for several reasons. It was to help the blood flow to his heart, stimulate muscles and help clear out some of the fluid in and around his left lung. In the morning a scan of his lungs was taken and found his left side to be absolutely flooded with fluids. This caused them to remove the smaller trach and replace it with a larger one to assist Dad's breathing. They are saying his lung is completely "collapsed". The good news is...later that evening they took another scan and it came up looking like the many things they did during the day helped. 
Dad was exhausted from all of this "excitement" and his throat was sore so he didn't talk much. I just washed his face many times, scratched  his goatee (sp?), gently massaged his neck, held his hand, swabbed his mouth with some minty freshness sprayed on it...(he loves this), and talked or read lips, rather. I am becoming a professional lip reader actually! I can make out the most complicated of sentences. I may have a future in it!?  Dad sometimes gets frustrated and just closes his eyes for a few breaths and then is ready to try again. I wonder what goes through his mind as we guess things completely unrelated to what he is trying to communicate? "wish these kids would have studied more"....
I have enjoyed my time with Dad and have told him so. It has been a time of reflection as well as unknown visions of the future. We just keep supporting him! He has said several times that he does want to survive and "fight for life" were his latest words. It's good to hear that he is glad we made the medical decisions to keep him alive and moving forward through so many procedures. 
He is a fighter and we are all so proud of him! Keep him in your prayers please! 
XOXOXO
Heidi (his #5, best looking daughter ;)

6 comments:

  1. Please tell Kirby that he is in my thoughts and prayers every day and I will be praying that everyday from here on will be better and better. As for the comment on the best looking daughter how many times have I said the same thing to Robert. Sorry sisters but as I have told Robert many times he got the best of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi.......... No doubt about it... You are a FOX.........I love you Uncle David!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. please tell your dad that Mandy and I are praying for him and thinking about him. Please let me know when he will be able to receive visiters. thank you Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirby,

    My prayers are with you each day as you work so hard in your recovery. You are wonderful and surely a survivor. You have so many people who love you and are praying for you. Your children are amazing. They love you so much and are so devoted to you. You must have been such a good dad to have raised such special children. They love you with all their hearts. Remember also how much your Heavenly Father loves you as well.

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Heidi I sooo love you and and you are such a great example! I can't begin to imagine the heartach and frustration your dad and family must feel daily. But what an inspiration you ALL are!!!!! As for the collapsed lung THAT I can totally relate to. Kirby we have never met but your daughter Heidi is an AMAZING friend. You are in my prayers....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh...Heidi is dreaming again..."best looking daughter"...Sweetie everyone knows it's #6, Amberlie, hence the name "Buns"! Sorry to break the news! You can be the second best!

    ReplyDelete