Friday, January 16, 2009

THE INJURIES

Kirby is scheduled for back surgery at noon today to put his spine back together. It has been confirmed that he is in fact permanently paralyzed. Because of his critical condition, they cannot allow gifts/flowers/balloons. Cards and pictures are allowed. There will be a fund set up in his name, in lieu of gifts, and we will post the info when we have it. Look for the update.
Kirby was traveling home on I-15 on Wed night. He was involved in an accident (we cannot include details at this time regarding the accident, as it is all specualtion.) What we do know is that he was found down an embankment about 40 feet from the freeway. He was taken by lifeflight to IMC hospital. He is still in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit and on a ventilator. His spine was severed from vertabrae T5-T7, causing permanent paralisis. The nuerosurgeon informed us that this is one of the most sever breaks that he has ever encountered. He also has 8 broken ribs on the right side and 2-3 on the left. His right lung was, and still is, collapsed. There has been trauma to the front and rear of his brain, and internal bleeding. His right arm has little to no use, but his left arm is strong. Kirby is more awaretoday than yesterday and is very frustrated and confused. There is not a lot of communication that can be done with him at this time. We are not sure about how much he is understanding. He has been able to squeeze our hands in an attempt to communicate, but it is almost impossible to really understand how much he comprehends.
If you have questions, you can post them and we will try to answer them as best we can. We will do our best to update often. Thank you for all of your love and support.

7 comments:

  1. This really sucks! We will continue to pray for Kirby to be comfortable and for the doctors to treat him as he needs. We love you guys and hope you are all doing as well as is possible. Please call us if there is anything you need.

    Marque and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heidi, I was just reading my facebook and checking out my friends "doings" when I was surprise to see your update, so I came to check out what happened. I'm really sorry. It really must be very hard on all of you. We'll include him in our prayers, and I hope you and your family find the strength to deal with this, because through you he will find the strength to fight and get better.
    If there's anything that we can do, do not hessitate to ask, we'll be more than happy to help.
    Love, carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Heidi! My heart breaks for your whole family....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Family...This will be a time of testing and of growth. There will be days that things seem clear and there will also be days you don't get it at all. Remember that the infinite atonement of our Savior takes on what we cannot. On those days that you do not get it at all, and it seems you have nothing left, ask and you shall receive. I have felt this power and strength in my own life. It works. Heavenly Father is aware of this situation for both your dad and your family. You will be blessed in the service of your dad because as you serve him, you also serve the Lord. I have found that it helps me when I remember that the physical impairments that we have in this life are temporary. Definitely a challenge but temporary. I wish you the best as you journey down this new path of life.
    Love,
    Altee

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart is just aching for Kirby and your family! I just wanted to say that I love you all so much! Please let me know what I can do to help- I would love to watch kids or come clean houses or make dinners or whatever else might help any of you through all this! Please let me know! I love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear your sad news. May you find strengh in eachother during this tail in your lives! Our preyers are with you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete